How, When & Why to use
For our purposes, when we talk about eBooks we are strictly talking about non-fiction such as practical guides. eBooks can be a fantastic marketing, promotions and credibility channel for most companies. With the rise of table computers and Amazon Kindle, eBooks have skyrocketed in popularity over the past few years.
Any business or professional that is able to say that they “wrote the book on ____” gets an instant credibility boost in the eyes of prospective customers.
The best news is that the search algorithm for Amazon Kindle is much less sophisticated and easier to manipulate than Google. With the right optimization and launch strategies you can quickly get books to the top of the rankings for your chosen keywords and become the author of a #1 book in your category.
Not only does this author status give you professional credibility, but it also sends Google great signals that add to your TrustRank and gives you some great material for promotion.
Features and Functions
Attempt to include each of the following in your eBook.
- eBooks should provide an in-depth overview of a topic related to your specific industry, profession, product or service.
- Start with an outline of your topic from an encyclopedic perspective. Provide an in-depth discussion in each section.
- Include as many questions and answers related to your topic as you can think of or find through online research.
- Provide step-by-step instructions whenever possible.
- Include citations and references to information sources.
- Include images.
- Include links to video.
- Include links back to pages of your website whenever possible.
- Create an attractive book cover that can still have an impact at thumbnail size because in the Amazon Kindle store search results, people will only see the thumbnail of the cover.
- The eBook summary should be written like a sales letter. You must motivate people to purchase and download your eBook. The following is a brilliant sales letter formula that you should follow exactly, in sequence, and has consistently produced incredible results.
- Call out your audience.
- Get their attention with a big promise headline.
- Back up the big promise with a short explanation that inspires confidence.
- Identify the problem.
- Provide the solution.
- Show the pain and cost of not using your product.
- Explain the ease of use.
- Show the speed to results.
- Future cast their potential results.
- Provide solid credentials.
- Detail the benefits. Sell benefits not features.
- Use social proof with real and credible testimonials.
- Make your offer.
- Add bonuses.
- Build up your value.
- Reveal your price.
- Build urgency.
- Give guarantee.
- Call to action.
- Give a warning.
- Call to action.
SEO ChecklistIf your eBook is going to be uploaded to Amazon Kindle, then it should not be available through your website, but rather your website should point links to the Amazon Kindle page for your book. Make sure that each of the following SEO strategies is incorporated into your eBook for Amazon Kindle.
- When uploading your book to Amazon, enroll in the Kindle Direct Publishing Select (KDP Select) program. This will allow you to give away your eBook for 5 days in any 90 day period. During this FREE period you want to promote your book and get as many downloads as possible. Downloads count toward rankings and this can give your book a big boost.
- Set the price of your book to: $2.99 (the best selling price).
- Include your most important keyword in the Title and Sub-Title.
- Include your important keywords in your description along with highly related words and phrases that would commonly appear in a true discussion of that topic.
- Include tags that utilize your keywords.
- Just before your book goes into the 5 day free giveaway period, increase the price of the book to $24.99 so that people will see value in the free giveaway.
Amazon Kindle Ranking Factors:
- Activity on the Page
- Relevance to Keywords in Title and Description
- Write a blog about the launch of your eBook. Optimize and syndicate that blog according to the blog optimization strategy.
- Write a Press Release announcing the launch of your eBook and optimize and syndicate that press release according to the Press Release optimization strategy.
- Promote your eBook on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn right at launch, and then promote it again during the FREE download period.
- Build lot of links to the Amazon page for your book. Use 50-70% exact match anchor text for the keywords you want the book to rank for and 30-50% for related phrases. This will get your book to rise in the Amazon search results.
- Get at least 5 friendly reviews and try to get them in different cities from real accounts. They should be legitimate real reviews and they really need to be positive.
- Get active in social forums about your niche. Like all the niche pages and groups about your subject matter. Engage people and be helpful. Then post about your new book and ask for reviews. When you ask for reviews you will get a lot more response.
- Join free Kindle sites such as FreeDigitalReads.com and eReaderNewsToday.com and promote your eBook.
- Schedule ezine ads in TheEzineDirectory.com.
- Do some targeted Facebook Ads and Promoted Twitter posts as soon as your FREE 5 days begin.
- The day your FREE 5 day promotion begins, email your entire database, let them know about it and ask them to download it and give you a review.
- Post on Twitter and Facebook 3-5 times per day during your promotion.
- Once your FREE 5 days ends, reduce your book price to $0.99 for one week or until you are dominating your desired paid categories. Then raise the book price to $2.99 and then to $4.95 and then to $9.99 and on every week until your revenue drops.
- Update your book about every 6-8 weeks with a significant update, adding a chapter and images, new cover and even remove a chapter if possible. Amazon will automatically notify everyone who has downloaded your eBook when a major update is made, thus re-engaging your audience through their own emails.
So, Now You Know How To Use
eBooks To Dominate!
Next In the next lesson we will take a look at how to optimize your online presence using