How, When & Why to use
Videos are the most engaging and popular form of entertainment content online, and have the ability to provide the most engaging information type of content online, if done well.
Features and Functions
Most companies should have the following videos:
- Explainer video about what the site is and how to use it.
- Explainer video about the brand.
- A video made specifically to reach out to your target market and show a connection to your company.
- Explainer videos about how to use the products and services.
- Testimonial videos.
Optimize videos with the following strategies.
- Use keywords when naming the video and in the description.
- Use a video hosting service such as Wistia.com (most recommended) or BrightCove.com to host your videos. This will allow your site to get credit for the video content. If you just host the video on YouTube or Vimeo, then your site is not getting credit as the content originator.
- If you use Wistia.com, they have protocol for setting up Video SEO where your videos will automatically be optimized with embed code that utilizes Schema.org/VideoObject markup and creates a video sitemap for you. The service is incredible. You can also update or change vidoes without having to change the embed code on your site. Highly recommended!
- Use the following Schema.org/VideoObject markup
<div itemprop="video" itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/VideoObject"> <h2>Video: <span itemprop="name">Title</span></h2> <meta itemprop="duration" content="T1M33S" /> <meta itemprop="thumbnailUrl" content="thumbnail.jpg" /> <meta itemprop="contentURL" content="http://www.example.com/video123.flv" /> <meta itemprop="embedURL" content="http://www.example.com/videoplayer.swf?video=123" /> <meta itemprop="uploadDate" content="2011-07-05T08:00:00+08:00" /> <meta itemprop="expires" content="2012-01-30T19:00:00+08:00" /> <object ...> <param ...> <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" ...> </object> <span itemprop="description">Video description</span> </div>
Marketing, Syndication, Distribution, Social Engagement
Optimize your videos using the following off-site strategies.
- A few days after the video has gone live on your site, post the video to every video syndication site.
- Post to your social profiles.
- Promote the video on Facebook using targeted ads.